A few weeks ago Adam did the unthinkable, he released a new build of the game!, and boy it was awesome. Currently we are still in Alpha state, but that shouldn’t stop us from posting a few screenshots of our work in progress.
The screenshot above shows the game closer to our intended release version: It displays a working version of our trusty GUI, most of the buildings we’ll end up using (we are still missing a lot of buildings though) and features 18 out of the 23 planned units we have for the game. We still need to work a lot of the 3d assets, so it’s placeholder country for almost everything 3d.
It’s that time when newer sprites show their face around Cairn. Previously we went through the exciting Free Blades and the awesome Thermocrats. Now it’s time for sprites that have no human form: these are the Fey and the mechanical Spiders.
Coming up, in Embalmit.com, your source for that sweet sweet, badass retro RTS: Cairn!
Cairn uses hand drawn sprites, which are painstakingly made by one person. The process takes around 3 weeks with a work process that was developed by us here at Embalmit. Here’s a bit of an insight of how this process usually goes for any given sprite we make for the game.
I talked previously how much a game object manager improved performance in Cairn, and I want to make sure anyone using Unity has the opportunity to use it in their game as well.
When I started researching a work around for Unitys Spawn & Destroy methods I came across a large number of pre-existing solutions. There are free scripts and expensive packages that could handle the issue, but I wanted the best of both. Something easy to use, something I can understand, and something free. This ment we had to grow our own solution, but I didn’t have to start from scratch.
Since the rest of Cairn is in C# I converted the script to that language. This allowed me to walk through the script and get a better handle on what it was doing.
Overall it’s pretty simple. Build a stack of Game Objects, mark them as active or inactive, then when something requests a new object determine if one needs to be created or if one needs to be reused.
I changed it handle more like the built Spawn & Destroy functions within Unity. The new script takes in a prefab, using it’s name to create a Game Object Pool for that specific prefab, and handles the stack of objects as the original script did from there.
You’ll notice some string manipulation and comparison that could be improved or edited, but for what I was trying to accomplish it works like a charm.
Updating the blog is hard!. So here’s a bunch of small updates, because we have A LOT of loose files going around, specially images that we can’t really place in a full blown, dignified blog post, but that will give our fanbase (our moms?) something to check.
Because there’s nothing worst than an indie studio that doesnt update often.
Hey everyone, Petunio here for another Art Update on Cairn.
So one thing is the units we are making for the game, another is the tiling that will go under the units. Originally we were working with another artist on the tiles, and for the most part his tiling skills were pretty good, but the contrast between what he did and the units in the game was a bit lacking, partially because he was working the terrain tiles without knowing how the units would look like.
I offered to do the tiles since I thought I could do a much better worklooking for the right contrast between units and terrain since they would both be developed by the same person (The Petunio, that is).